Re: [p2-dev] p2 is greedy enough to be broken

There is no greediness problem here. p2 is following the dependencies as specified (there is no concept of an IU "managing" another IU). Since there is no dependency from Feature B to Feature A, so there is no reason to install feature A. If you want this kind of granularity, you can specify your dependencies accordingly (have features only reference other features). This is what we call "right-grained provisioning" in p2 - provisioning can occur at any granularity depending on how you configure your metadata.

John

James D Miles <jdmiles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/05/2009 11:48 AM

Please respond to

p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[p2-dev] p2 is greedy enough to be broken

I am describing the default behavior of 3.5M7. I there another mode?

How dependencies are handled is a little different than what we are use to. For instance with managed only we only have plugins enabled if they are managed by a feature.

With p2 that is not the case. If I have a site
Site A
- Feature A that references plugin A. Both are on this site

Site B
- Feature B that requires plugin A. Only feature B is here.

Then I setup preferences so that both sites are visible or I could merge all of this into one site.

If I install featureB it will pull in pluginA from siteA but it won't pull in featureA.

- This will break our concept of install handlers totally.
- Since the touchpoint data is metadata for the IU it should break that also.

I think the answer is if a plugin needs to be installed we must install the IU that manages it.