Re: [p2-dev] GSoC application

Hi Max and congratulation for being accepted to GSoC.

Simon and I have been discussing this over lunch and came up with several approaches.
1) If the user is browsing using the eclipse embedded web browser, then we should be able to make use of the _javascript_-To-Java support (http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.5M4-200812111908/eclipse-news-M4.html).

2) If the browser is in an external process, there is a trick you can use to communicate to a local eclipse client by communicating with a web server who would be listening on a particular port. However Simon is worried that this could be a security hole.

3) If the browser is an external process, an install description file could be downloaded and then the user could drag&drop it over the install he is interested in, or we could have an OS handler registered with eclipse for the file and thus present the user with the eclipse install he has.

I'm sure there are other solution and invite you or other to submit ideas keeping in mind that one of the issue we have is that there could be several instances of eclipse running on a machine and one needs to be identified (this is for example the difficulty of approach #2).

Again, welcome,

PaScaL

Inactive hide details for mux ---04/14/2009 03:40:58 PM---hello, my name is max and i applied to eclipse/p2 for the google summmux ---04/14/2009 03:40:58 PM---hello, my name is max and i applied to eclipse/p2 for the google summer of code.

mux <mux123@xxxxxxxxx>

p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/14/2009 03:40 PM

[p2-dev] GSoC application

hello,

my name is max and i applied to eclipse/p2 for the google summer of code. i've submitted a proposal to participate in the development of a web triggered plugin installation mechanism for eclipse, which i think would be a cool feature.
i'd be happy to hear your feedback and comments on my proposal in the eclipse wiki (
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009_Ideas/WebTriggeredPluginInstallation), especially i'm interested in your opinions on which technology should be used to communicate between browser and client and what you think could be possible problems i could run into.

regards, max