Re: [p2-dev] newbie committer question

To stay off topic for a bit :), here is a link to that paper:

http://thomas-zimmermann.com/publications/details/sliwerski-msr-2005/

The work was done in an area of Software Engineering called Mining Software Repositories (MSR) where the researchers attempt to use automated tools to uncover patterns in software repositories to help predict future events.

I don't know much about this, but I imagine they looked at what code was changed to fix a problem, and then looked at when the original code was committed.  (That is probably an over simplification of the experiment).

As you probably know, there are lots of researchers studying Eclipse. It would be interesting to see what types of results people are finding to see if they mesh with our experience.

Cheers,
Ian

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Susan Franklin McCourt <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also found John's comments to be a good summary worth posting somewhere more general...
And at the risk of going wildly off topic...

>A professor at Queens pointed me to a study that showed the majority of Eclipse bugs are introduced on Friday, and the researchers chalked it up to "Developers are >tired on Fridays", where as Mondays saw very few bugs.  I imagine this phenomenon is more likely related to Eclipse build schedule.

Is there a link to this study? I can't imagine that they could really know when the bugs were introduced, did they actually follow the fix and determine the breaking code was changed on a Friday? Or are they referring to when the bug was opened? Maybe developers just do more testing on Fridays? If it's when a bug was opened, I'd expect Tuesdays (milestone test days) to show up, too...

ok, back to p2.

susan