From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott Lewis
Sent: 30 March 2009 17:43
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] p2 Engine

Hi Pascal,

Pascal Rapicault wrote:

> For bundles to be installed in OSGi, a CU indicating to do so needs to

> be attached to the IU representing the bundle.
> Most of the time, the tooling.osgi.bundle.default CU is all you need
> since it just installs a bundle at start level 4 and does not start
it.
> This attachment is represented by a ResolvedIU which has the original
> IU and the additional fragments.
> Note that normally the planned returned by the director will contain
> the proper attachment if of course the CUs had been passed to it.

It seems my (remote) planner is not adding the tooling CU's to the
operands that it sends for the engine to execute.  I notice from looking

through the director code that for director runs this is done via the
planner.getProvisioningPlan...i.e.

        result = planner.getProvisioningPlan(request, context, new
NullProgressMonitor());

How is the adding of the CU's triggered within the planner?  Are they
just retrieved from the metadata repo?   I've been using the feature
export of the PDE, and noticed that when I export a deployable feature
to an existing repo...although it puts the actual IUs in there, it
doesn't create/put any tooling CUs in the target repo.  Could this be
the issue?  How does one create these tooling CUs in the repo (if that's

what's needed)?

Thanksinadvance,

Scott