RE: [p2-dev] Installing plug-ins from a local folder

Hi Ravi,

I am not a p2 committer but I have been following this mailing list for
a while.  This is my take on your questions, in general.  I am sure the
p2 professionals will chime in if I am way off base (which I may be but
I am just trying to be helpful).

Installing via dropins is classed as a manual operation.

If you manually customize your eclispe installation in this manner you
are accepting responsibility over this part of the system and must
likewise uninstall it manually too.  From looking at the eclispe (3.4)
code I have seen that typically you cant just remove the bundle(s), you
must rename them to xyz.jar.del then p2 will uninstall it.

I believe dropins bundle upgrades are also treated as optional.  I am
not sure how best to express this but my understanding here is that if
there are any potential conflicts then the system will give your dropin
bundle upgrade the lowest priority and therefore it may not happen.  Or
put another way official software updates are given a higher priority.
I am a little unclear on this myself so this is a best guess.

I think I am also right in saying that if you wrap your bundle(s) in a
feature and also bump the feature version when a contained bundle is
versioned too then p2 is guaranteed to pick this up; i.e. manage your
bundles through features and observe eclipse's version numbering
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering> and you wont go
too far wrong.

Thanks
_Paul