Re: [p2-dev] OSGi spec vs P2

- Initial provisioning is used to initialize an OSGi framework with an install agent. You are free to use an initial provisioning implementation to initialize a framework with the p2 agent.
- Deployment admin has a few limitations that the Eclipse community simply could not live with. One being the inability to share bundles between deployment packages.
- Bundle repositories are not an official specification from OSGi at this time. There is a proposed spec that has been out for a while. But p2 is extensible and you able to extend p2 to connect to a repository of your choice. I think some investigation had been done by the community to connect with an OBR repository. I'm not sure what the status of that effort is.

Tom

Inactive hide details for "Jeffrey Ricker" ---02/20/2009 03:11:48 PM---I am confused. Eclipse is built on OSGi. OSGi provides s"Jeffrey Ricker" ---02/20/2009 03:11:48 PM---I am confused. Eclipse is built on OSGi. OSGi provides specifications for

"Jeffrey Ricker" <ricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2009 03:11 PM

[p2-dev] OSGi spec vs P2

I am confused. Eclipse is built on OSGi. OSGi provides specifications for
initial provisioning, deployment admin and bundle repositories.  I see none of
these specifications supported or used in P2. Why is that?