Re: [p2-dev] Equinox P2 executable updates

I did not know this could be done either. I had to try it my self. I can confirm that the eclipse.exe can be renamed while running on WinXP with NTFS.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Andrew Niefer ---02/19/2009 08:21:48 AM---p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/19/2009 05:12:27 AM:Andrew Niefer ---02/19/2009 08:21:48 AM---p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/19/2009 05:12:27 AM:

Andrew Niefer <aniefer@xxxxxxxxxx>

P2 developer discussions <p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/19/2009 08:21 AM

Re: [p2-dev] Equinox P2 executable updates

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/19/2009 05:12:27 AM:
> Hi John,
>
> Concerning updating the eclipse.exe. I was facing the same problem
> within our proprietary software update solution and I found out that
> it is possible to:
> - first move/rename the *.exe to something like *.exe.backup with
> File.renameTo(). It is possible to do that while the *.exe is
> running and the move/renameTo is in the same folder.

This is interesting, I did not realize this was possible.

The biggest reason we haven't done anything here yet is time.   We thought that updating the exe would require the exe to not be in use, and we imagined something like:

drop in a "eclipse.exe.new", have the old "eclipse.exe" recognize it somehow, and do a song and dance with multiple restarts to replace the executable.  This would have been done in native code.

However, if we can rename a running file, then it is much easier to do as you suggest and have garbage collection later (which can all be done from java).

p2-dev mailing list
p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx