Re: [p2-dev] How to build the 3.4.2 release?

The crux of my problem is that when using the director app to create a
new installation with a bundle pool, the eclipse.ini file looks like
this:

-startup
../../../../eclipseBundlePool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20080819.jar
--launcher.library
../../../../eclipseBundlePool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.101.R34x_v20080805
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
-install
/usr/local/google/users/tparker/profiles/test
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx256m

The config.ini osgi.framework line is:
osgi.framework=file\:../../../../eclipseBundlePool/plugins/..."

When I run this installation and use the p2 UI to install/uninstall
software, the EquinoxFwConfigFileParser.getOSGiInstallArea() function
uses the "-startup" parameter as the base for doing
relative<->absolute path translations on the osgi.framework property,
which is the wrong root.  It results in various kinds of corruption.

The EquinoxFwConfigFileParser hasn't changed at head, so this seems
like a current bug (altough I haven't tested yet).  It is kind of
curious that  the function called getOSGiInstallArea() is using the
"-startup" parameter when there is a correct "-install" parameter in
the eclipse.ini file it could be using instead.  But in my testing,
replacing the parameter used still resulted in corruption.

--Terry Parker

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Terry Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Interesting.  The top level "eclipse" name can be changed.  I am
> simply trying to use a bundle pool and group the profiles and bundle
> pool as peers in a known location for our users.  I'll experiment with
> how things work when the parent folder of the profiles is named
> something other than "eclipse".
>
> --Terry
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Pascal Rapicault
> <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In this case because bundle_pool is under eclipse, the bundles.info which I
>> assume is located under profile1 or something like that will end up having
>> relative paths.
>> Could you tell more about what it is you are trying to do?
>>
>> Terry Parker ---02/11/2009 03:05:46 PM---Thanks for the information. My
>> setup is this:
>>

>> From:
>> Terry Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> To:
>> P2 developer discussions <p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Cc:
>> p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> Date:
>> 02/11/2009 03:05 PM
>> Re: [p2-dev] How to build the 3.4.2 release?
>> ________________________________
>>

>> Thanks for the information.
>>
>> My setup is this:
>>
>> - ${user}/eclipse
>>    -bundle_pool
>>    -profile1
>>    -profile2
>>    -profile3
>>
>> So it is a peer to my installation folders.  Are you saying that when
>> the first profile is installed, it should be created with a
>> bundles.info file that uses absolute paths?
>>
>> --Terry
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Pascal Rapicault
>> <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The paths in the bundles.info are relative if p2 realize that your install
>>> is self-contained.
>>> Are you suer that your bundle pool is not locate under the install folder?
>>> You can find all the code in the /cvsroot/rt repo under
>>> equinox/p2/bundles.
>>> The stream for all the relevant bundles is R3_4_maintenance.
>>> You can also load the code using the releng tools and grabbing the map
>>> file
>>> directly from the download page of a particular download.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Terry Parker ---02/11/2009 01:34:12 PM---Whenever I do an installation
>>> from
>>> within the 3.4.2 RC2 release, the "config.ini" and "bundles.info"
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Terry Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>> To:
>>> p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx