RE: [p2-dev] FW: P2 Profile Questions

Hi Paul,

What root IU did you try to install using the director? If you are missing the fragments (tooling.*), it sounds like you are trying to install a feature or bundle directly, rather than a proper product root (such as org.eclipse.sdk.ide or org.eclipse.platform.ide). It is these product roots that tie the generic feature/bundle IUs together with the configuration data in the fragments (tooling.* IUs).

John

Warren_Paul@xxxxxxx
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/21/2008 12:47 PM

Please respond to

<p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [p2-dev] FW: P2 Profile Questions

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Today I tried to generate a P2 profile using the director application,
as suggested.  It generated me profile and this looked to be identical
to the one I got when I used the admin UI.  I assume the same underlying
bundles are used here so no real surprise.  At least using the director
means I can automate the process which is good.

However, this generated profile is still missing all the tooling.*
bundles and feature IUs and therefore in my [limited] experience to date
means p2 will fail to provision anything further (actually I should
caveat that - it wont provision bundles in dropins).  After stepping
through the code I discovered that something in my profile had to
require the tooling.* IUs otherwise when the provisioning plan is
created new bundles don't get attached to an installable unit fragment
which in turn means the engine operands are missing the parameterized
provisioning action (they only get the pre & post install actions) which
all ultimately means the new bundles don't get installed.

Now, bare in mind I am attacking this with little to no prior knowledge
of p2 so I've just done the best I can by experimenting and stepping
through the code.  Apologies in advance if I have done something really
stupid.  But I am assuming that I have done something wrong so all help
gratefully recieved?  Happy to experiment further if anyone has any
suggestions.

Many thanks
_Paul