[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [p2-dev] Problem installing feature due to unhelpful version range requirements
- From: Francis Upton <francisu@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:31:36 -0700
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (X11/20080723)
Thanks Jeff, having been so focused on the RCP side of my product, it
did not even occur to be that "required" existed. I tried something as
a way to get around this. I have a feature that contains the
dependencies (deps), and then a feature that defines the product
(prod). In prod changed the "deps" to be included but optional. I
would have expected that to work (it would have been nice because then I
could use the "prod" feature both for my RCP edition and IDE edition.
But since it does not, I will make a new "prodIde" feature that has the
plugins as required and not included.
I know this is not a p2 question per se, but why wouldn't including and
making them optional work?
Jeff McAffer wrote:
I suspect that part of the problem is the use of Includes vs Requires
in your features. Quite separate from p2, features have always used
exact versions for "included" things and version ranges for "required"
things. So when you author your feature to require something and spec
a range, that should be translated into the same range in p2 metadata
and you should be happy.
Francis Upton wrote:
I am using the standard PDE build scripts that call p2.generator to
generate the metadata in my repository. I have many features and
products and they are all generated to the same repository. So far
The problem I'm having is the feature.group (e.g.
com.oaklandsw.transform.feature.deps.gui.feature.group) in the
content.xml get generated with a version range requirement that is
exactly the versions of the plugins that are installed in the Eclipse
build I'm running against. In my source feature.xml, all of the
versions are 0.0.0 which is what I want, but the p2.generator does
not use my source, it uses the feature.xml that winds up in the build
output, which has all of the versions put into it.
This means that when installing this feature, it will insist on
having these exact versions of the plugins, so because I built it on
a 3.4.0 system, it will not properly install on a 3.4.1 system (it
gets the usual cryptic error message about unable to satisfy the
If I manually hack the content.xml file to remove these range
attributes, I run into a related problem. My product depends on the
org.eclipse.rcp feature group, and this feature group in the
content.xml (like all of the others) has the exact plugin versions.
So the installation will again get a conflict (on swt this time)
because the org.eclipse.rcp feature in the installation target does
not match the one generated in the content.xml.
I'm sure somewhere I took a left turn that I should not have and
there is an easy solution to this mess, but I have not yet found it.
p2-dev mailing list
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
- Dr Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go
Francis Upton IV
Tel 510 835 3123
Fax 510 779 5226
Cell 510 432 1589