Re: [p2-dev] instances/examples for server-side install?

With the Update UI, you can only update your own copy of Eclipse, not
a shared one.

With the installer, you could create a shared install consisting of an
EMF-enabled SDK.

So, for a multi-user install, root currently has to either install via
zip + dropins, or use the installer to install to some folder, linked
from dropins. But should root want to "assemble" a product from SDK +
other projects (ie., everything in /opt/eclipse/plugins &
/opt/eclipse/features), the installer won't allow that.

Is this not a valid use case?

Nick

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:33 AM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The installer is designed to lay down a new product from scratch. If you
> already have an Eclipse SDK installed, why don't you just install the extra
> stuff using Help > Software Updates > Available Software ... ?  I don't see
> much value in enabling the installer for the "install into existing
> application" scenario since you can do this directly from within the
> application.
>
> John

Back to the top