[p2-dev] What is the relationship between Eclipse and Ganymede repositories?

Hi All,

I created an internal mirror of Ganymede and then tried installing eclipse from it using the p2 installer with the following ini file:

eclipse.p2.metadata=file:///C:/dev/workshop/eclipseide/3.4/mirrors/ganymede
eclipse.p2.artifacts=file:///C:/dev/workshop/eclipseide/3.4/mirrors/ganymede
eclipse.p2.flavor=tooling
eclipse.p2.profileName=Eclipse SDK
eclipse.p2.launcherName=eclipse
eclipse.p2.rootId=org.eclipse.sdk.ide
eclipse.p2.autoStart=true

The installation was successful, which surprised me. I had thought that I would need to install from my Eclipse mirror.

I did a quick diff on the features/plugins in my eclipse and ganymede mirrors. It seems that the two sites share a lot of stuff in common, that ganymede is almost a superset of Eclipse but not quite: it is missing some stuff only found in Eclipse.

Questions:

1. Can anyone explain the intent here? What is the relationship between the 2 sites?

2. Also, can anyone tell me if the .blobstore folder found in mirrored repositories is needed? Can it be deleted to save space?

Thanks,

Miles

Miles Daffin
Morgan Stanley | Technology
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 06
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7677-5119
Fax: +44 20 7056-4572
Miles.Daffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx