Re: [ormf-dev] Moving forward with the model

Hi Wolfgang,

Straight off let me say that your last remark is right on the mark and I see these model conversations as a stimulus for us to be exploring just that.

For the rest, I think that you have missed the point of B.'s post.

Absolutely ORMF does not want to go down the path of a building yet another "Open Document Management Framework". If it was, then I also will join you in dropping it :-)

So let me try to state this simply and clearly: ORMF is about providing a framework that allows adopters to easily build tools for:

  • Elucidating requirements
  • Managing these requirements, f.i. creating relationships
  • Preparing various standard and ad hoc reports (this includes publication)

Requirements are at the heart of what we are interested in working with!

What B. was trying to communicate is that (in our opinion) the most important aspect of the model we create is that it is able to support the above functionality. We fail to see why it is essential to be able to map the HPP model onto ours as long as the practitioner of HPP are able to successfully build a system on top of ORMF that can capture and work with the requirements in a fashion that is consistent with the HPP practices. If we are being short sighted, then please give us some examples of what we are missing. Truly Wolfgang, we are open to learning.

As far as why ORMF, the main driving force for B. and I when we started is because it was our experience indicated that there were no reasonably available tools that could capture, maintain and manage a rich set of requirements in a reasonably straightforward manner. Either one used spreadsheets or a tool like to Requisite Pro that provided fairly easy organisational support or a tool such as Word that allowed copious content, but were maintenance of any type of relationships were a nightmare. We believe this is still true today.

As far as being able to link with modelling tools, yes this is ambitious. We have always dreamed of that as supported functionality, but I do not believe it achievable today. Maybe in the future.

Joel

PS - I really think these conversations should move back to the Wiki.