[ormf-dev] Re: Oh where oh where

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for adding these to the diagram, they add another layer of important understanding.

On 31 Oct 2008, at 10:10, Wolfgang Ponikwar wrote:

Hi Joel,

I have attached a quick drawing of my understanding where we will be using specific Eclipse projects in ORMF. Please have a look at it whenever convenient and provide corrections or additions.
I don't consider this diagram as final, but just want to understand what we intend to take on board in order to better understand what we need to learn or acquire to move on.

You have most of right. Here are my comments where I see exceptions or uncertainty:

  • JWT - have not even considered, but we can certainly discuss the merits of introducing it.
  • GEF and GMF will eventually come into play on the client, but I do not see a role for either on the server.

If I understood the discussions over the last weeks correctly, you and Barb assume that every committer will take responsibility for one (or more) of the components in the architecture. Is this correct? If so, which components are already taken?

Yes, and what I mean by a component is a vertical slice through the server architecture. In the first instance, we will each take one of the client side delegates and own the functionality through to the matching Service component on the server. In a second second handover, probably a couple of months down stream, someone will pick up each of the lower level server components.

My plan is that by the time we hand over each of the top level services, I will the OSGi structure (SAT and Riena) in place, so that it will not be necessary for everyone on the team to understand the complexities of OSGi services and remoting. From the component's owner each component will behave as a POJO. Of course the more of us who are comfortable with OSGi the better, but there is also much else to learn.  So there is really not much technology to take on board to pick up these component. It is more a matter of giving all the team members the opportunity to understand how ORMF is structured.

No component are yet taken.

It seems like I will have some spare time next week and want to get into the subject asap to pick up the speed necessary to cope with future interruptions without loosing too much momentum.

Sound like a good plan.

As I said above, there is not much technology to pick up on in the first layer. I would suggest that you (and anyone else who wants to think ahead) declare and interest in one of the second level components. This draws in EclipseLink, EMF and BIRT.

Also please (everyone) remember that this is only the server side that we are discussing. There will also be additional technology to pick up on for the client side, f.i. GMF, GEF.

Kind regards,

Wolfgang

Cheers,
Joel