From: Joel Rosi-Schwartz <Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: The Open Requirements Management Framework project development list <ormf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 26 September, 2008 17:59:01
Subject: Re: [ormf-dev] The plan!

Hi Achim,

On 26 Sep 2008, at 13:02, Achim Loerke wrote:

> Hi B.
>
> I've just read the plan. On the iterations 1 to 9 I trust your
> judgment. I11 to I15 seem a bit long: 15 weeks of bugfixing and 5
> RCs. I hope it doesn't come to that :-)

The 5 RCs seem to be typical of most Eclipse. As I understand it they
are short iterations that allow for feedback from the community and
rapid addressing of deficiencies that come to light. I agree with you
that 15 weeks seems long and with luck we will be able to declare
victory early :-) I also believe that spare time during this period
can be well spent getting started on the next release.

> Did you include time for documentation and testing in the first 9
> iterations or is this on top? In my experience this would add
> another 25% to the time frame but should reduce the need for
> extensive bugfixing at the release.

Yes, in fact we first estimated the tasks trying to be realistic on
the conservative side, and allowing for learning curves. Then we added
100% to cover rework, project management, process, configuration
management, documentation, testing, contingency, etc. That is
consistent with my (somewhat jaded) experience.

> I assume that once the plan is committed that we start to distribute
> tasks (again)? I still very much want to work on ORMF but there
> seems always to be an obstacle emerging. So maybe it's best you and
> Joel ask for help on the work you're starting and I'll try my very
> best :-)

Yes, that is the plan. We will be starting this weekend getting task
into Bugzilla.

One thing I would specifically ask of you Achim and Vasile. We would
really like to do a good job at functional testing. If it is possible
to utilise GUIDancer it would be really brilliant. Assuming that is
possible, I would like it if Vasile could be trained up on GUIDancer
so he can take on the functional testing with you and Barbara
mentoring him. Vasile, this would not take up all of your time so you
will definitely have the opportunity to pick up other tasks and
skills. If Vasile is willing to take it on, are you willing to get him
trained up so he is ready to go?

We already have a fairly good starting set of test cases that are
generic so they are tool agnostic. I believe that you have said that
with GUIDancer it is not necessary to have the GUI running to start
writing the scripts. Is that accurate? With the presented plan we will
have ORMF running again at the end of Iteration 1 and functional
testing could actually be started then. It would be fantastic to have
a set of regression tests in place before we tear apart the system for
EMF.

Many thanks,
Joel