[orion-releng] Changes to Orion client build (Action required, maybe)

I just released changes to speed up the org.eclipse.orion.client build. It now runs minification using Node.js + Uglify rather than Rhino + Google Closure. This makes it much faster: the minification is around 3x faster by my estimate. As a bonus, the source maps generated by Uglify seem more reliable than Closure's.

But, every rose has its thorn, or something: if you're running an unusual OS -- that is, something other than Linux/Windows/OS X -- the build might fail to find a compatible Node binary. If this happens, you can configure the build to use Nashorn instead, which is slightly slower. Rhino is no longer supported.

So to sum up:
  • If you build
    ​orion-client on a platform
    ​for which Node.js binaries are not available,
  • then you must run the build under Java 8+
    ​,
  • and
    ​you must set one of the following flags when building:
      mvn -DskipNodejs
    or
      mvn -P '!nodejs'

    These will skip installation of Node.js and use jjs instead.
I documented these changes on the Releng Builds page.

Regards
Mark

Back to the top