[orion-dev] Electron selfhosting questions...

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with the Electron app yesterday and today. For
reference, I used OrionHub only very briefly about a year ago for some
very, very small JavaScript projects. Thus, my experience with Orion
is actually extremely limited.

With that in mind, getting Electron to open wasn't all too difficult.
I installed electron via npm and then proceeded to run Orion directly
from the command line via a clone from GitHub.

> electron server.js

It's fine save for the fact that I still haven't gotten nodegit to
work but that's not why I'm sending this email.

Now, when I make changes to the Electron code (such as to server.js or
main.js), my changes are reflected when I shutdown Electron and boot
it up again. However, when I make changes to stuff in the bundles/
folder, I am not seeing the changes when I restart Electron. I thought
using the -dev argument would help but it didn't do anything.

1. What am I doing wrong? After I make modifications to the contents
of the bundles/ folder, what do I need to do before restarting
Electron again from the command line?

2. Where do I download prebuilt Electron Orion binaries (assuming
those exist)? Though honestly, I kind of like what I've got going
right now where I'm running my Electron instance using the code I'm
developing on.

3. On the topic of dogfooding though, I would like to know what
version of Electron is the Orion team targeting for 13.0? I see 1.2.7
mentioned in the modules/orionode/package.json but my Electron from
npm is 1.4.5. How much should I care about this discrepancy?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Remy

Back to the top