[orion-dev] OrionHub feedback from Europe

I received the feedback below via email from a developer in Europe who was trying out OrionHub this week. I am forwarding it here for the team's awareness. We have been doing a lot of performance work on the edit page in particular, but it looks like the landing page could use some love to improve the first user experience.

Looking at the root index.html, I see it loads a whole bunch of _javascript_ only to do this:

                window.location = "edit/edit.html";

Maybe we can replace this with a basic HTML redirect meta tag to save one level of churn. Does anyone know/remember why the index page does this?

John

Today I wanted to have a look at https://orionhub.org/ after a long time.

Here in Austria, the web browser remains blank for a very long time (10-15 seconds) before anything gets rendered.
I assume it’s loading JS libraries … the user experience feels really broken initially. I first thought I had entered the wrong URL and was about to leave the page.

Trying to play with it, it happened multiple times to me that a page didn’t open properly. The “Settings” page, for example, typically remained blank (and I had to “reload”). Getting logged in with my github account was a real pain (multiple timeouts etc).  In the end, I think I “somewhat” got it to work but it was not a good OOBE.

With the landing page going right into the live instance, as a user one is pretty lost with OOBE workflows.

Back to the top