Re: [orion-dev] Taming Bugzilla

Reminder, we will be doing this bugzilla cleanup tomorrow. Committers, today is your chance to set the "triaged" keyword on old bugs that you don't want to have automatically closed tomorrow!

John

----- Forwarded by John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM on 05/04/2015 09:10 AM -----

From:        John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM
Date:        04/29/2015 10:37 PM
Subject:        Taming Bugzilla

From recent community discussions it has become clear that Orion's bugzilla backlog has gotten out of control. With over 1500 bugs open, committers no longer have the ability to triage and organize their work. When someone looks at our backlog they do not get an accurate picture of what the actual defects are, what issues are still relevant, and what the project is up to. A brief sample of these bugs indicate that many are stale and refer to problems or code that no longer exists.  Others are owned by committers that are no longer active and are not being worked on.  Of course, there are bugs that are real, but the sheer number hampers our ability to process them.  Therefore, we are planning on reorganizing our bugs to get things under control.

After discussion in our weekly call, here is what we are proposing:

1) Bugs that are inactive and older than Orion 6.0 (2014-06-25) will be closed with a friendly comment (it will indicate that we will be pleased to reopen the bug at the submitter's discretion)
2) Remove target milestones from open bug reports where the milestone is for an older release
3) Bugs that are owned by committers that are no longer active will be moved to the appropriate inbox
4) Bugs that contain the key word "triaged" will not be closed, no matter what the date (committers please use this key word to keep active but long standing bugs open)

Comments and refinements to this plan are welcome. Assuming general agreement I will make these changes on next Tuesday, May 5th. if you are "watching" inboxes via bugzilla notifications you may want to tune your notification settings accordingly to avoid the noise.

Thanks,
John

Back to the top