Re: [orion-dev] Can Orion be less Eclipse

I have emailed separately instructions on building a WAR file for Orion.

Saw them - great. I plan to try them out next week.

My steps create the WAR from Eclipse, because it is easy. We do not have a
WAR file created by the Orion build, maybe we should add it.

+100 that would make it much easier to consume and get contributions IMO.

This is a likely a loaded question but I will bite. We are an Eclipse
project and we have a Java based server implementation. It is obvious that
we would use the Eclipse IDE for development.
This "forced use" of the
Eclipse IDE for the Java server development is a barrier to your usage.
Can you explain a little more why?

Because Orion is supposedly about being a web based and even cloud enabled
IDE that is not *only* about Eclipse Desktop IDE.

I think its great we got a project that easily imports into Eclipse and you can
(somewhat) easily go work on it; but I think it would be even more
awesome if the project could equally well import into intellij, netbeans or even just be used from pure command line where a lot of the node/javascript
crowd that would be interested in what Orion brings can participate.

Requiring usage of osgi and plugin.xml editing which is I agree super well
supported in Eclipse, just seems like a choice that puts up a barrier of
entry that is unnecessary.

I will keep telling whoever I meet that when they look at Orion they
need to look pass the osgi setup and look at what it *actually* can do and what it offers - but I can tell you from experience that this just does not cut it.

Two examples:

We got a handful of people looking into building web-ide prototype and looking for what foundation (if any) to build it on - Gorkem and I suggested Orion for various reasons - all of them came back stating something similar like: "orion sound like a good idea, but I really was put off by the fact I could not just run it and instructions required me to use eclipse osgi features" ...
That is what Gorkem and I are mainly referring to.

Another situation I was talking with another colleague about doing some fun with Orion git support for his project and he got all excited and wanted to go embed orion immediately. He took the default orion distro, ran it - no git support and none of the docs he could find made it work for him. Then he went and tried same with Brackets, and was up and running much faster and now he is using
brackets for his prototype instead.

So this is concrete examples of how Orion is currently in our POV setup with too many barriers of entry for many.

I know there are others that do get through the barrier of entry and get things done - but my experience is that it is only those that are truly persistent and already have eclipse IDE or eclipse project experience.

In todays world - that is very limiting for an open source project.

That got much longer than I wanted it to be - but you asked ;)

Now I hope we can work together and remove some of these barriers so we don't see these
repeated by other interested parties.

Thanks,
/max

Cheers...