[orion-dev] PhD Thesis and Orion Project Collaboration

Hi all, i have been recently talking with Simon Kaegi in order to get the acceptance (now accepted) to collaborate with the Orion Project. This collaboration is related with my PhD research.
I am a PhD candidate at ISCTE-IUL, my current university (http://www.iscte-iul.pt). My past academic works have been related with Empirical Software Engineering and the usage of statistics to improve the understanding of IT service management processes (namely incident management). My planned PhD research niche is about understanding software developers' behavior. More than mining the software development process, i expect to identify stereotypical profiles of software developers (e.g. using clustering techniques), based on the way they use an IDE. I expect to achieve this by analyzing the execution traces/events of the various tools plugged-in the IDE. This empirical/analytic research endeavor requires large amounts of data/events, such as the one generated in the Orion project and scalable data analytic capabilities.
Many software development methodologies have been proposed and many tools are available in existing IDEs such as Eclipse/Orion. However, we still know little about how software developers actually work in practice. I haven't seen much published work on the dynamics of software developers in practice. I believe that finding typical software development profiles, based on empirical evidence, may open new research threads, such as:
    - checking and validating developers adherence/compliance to agile methodologies like Scrum and/or Extreme Programming, namely regarding the adoption of techniques such as TDD, code smells detection, refactoring, etc.;
    - clustering developers in a company to match specific process requirements / roles in future projects;
    - uncovering process smells (bad practices) and process patterns (good practices).
    - validating the possibilities of having an IDE to adapt to each developer according to individual programming characteristics

Having read this brief abstract, feel free to comment and/or give me any feedback as that is really important for me at this stage.
At the same time as i am very committed and excited to be part of this community, feel free to contact me if i can be of any help for any of you.

Many thanks and regards
João Caldeira
PhD Candidate Student
ISCTE-IUL