Re: [orion-dev] Load timeout error

Hi Michelle,

You may be running into the "mixed content blocking" feature of your web browser.

Under the hood, Orion plugins are installed by embedding the plugin as an iframe into the host page. These days, browsers refuse to embed an HTTP iframe (http://beautify.orionhub.org:8080/jsbeautify.html) into an HTTP host page (https://orionhub.org) for security reasons. If you see a shield icon in your address bar when you try to install the plugin, then this is the problem.

Here are a few different ways you can fix this:
  1. Host the plugin on an HTTPS site.
    GitHub pages is great for this: they let you access your site over HTTPS, and you can use Orion's built-in Git functionality to push changes to your site.

  2. Override mixed content blocking.
    When the shield icon appears, click it and you'll be given an option like "Load unsafe script" or "Disable protection". Activate that, and the page will refresh. Try installing the plugin again, and it should work this time.
    I think this works on a per-session basis, so you'll probably have to do it again if you restart your browser.

  3. Download and run a local Orion server.
    A local server runs on HTTP by default at http://localhost:8080. Since it's HTTP you won't get into trouble with the mixed-content blocker; you can install plugins from anywhere you like.
Mark