Re: [orion-dev] orion.page.link - Is it possible to display more than one link under a single category?

After a conversation I just had with McQ I wanted to try to clarify what I meant here. First, our current documentation is misleading in that it uses the term "category" to describe the items in our sidebar. A category would typically imply containment of items and this is not at all what we mean to represent in our UI. Instead we're looking to represent other tools, or perspectives on the resource that you are currently working on. (We know that we need a better name than "category" for this extension and perspective is close but probably ruled out to avoid confusion with the desktop Eclipse concept.)

If you currently have two tools/pages in your existing category it might make sense to instead represent them as two separate categories and so two icons. Another possibility to consider (although it might take a lot of design work), is to consider if the two tools/pages might better be combined into one page/tool to enhance usability and reduce context switches. When the Orion team did analysis on our Git workflows and the number of clicks and page switches required to do basic operations we found their was a lot of back and forth. It was a substantial effort to re-design our Git tooling into a single tool/page but I think the end result is a much faster and simpler tool to use. Anyway .... a bit of tangent... but combining tools/pages is worth considering if you have a few closely related items currently is a single category.

-Simon

Inactive hide details for Simon Kaegi---09/10/2014 01:46:59 PM---Hi Brian, We really are limiting the page bar to one link and Simon Kaegi---09/10/2014 01:46:59 PM---Hi Brian, We really are limiting the page bar to one link and do not want to have

Simon Kaegi/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

09/10/2014 01:46 PM

Re: [orion-dev] orion.page.link - Is it possible to display more than one link under a single category?

    Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Brian,

We really are limiting the page bar to one link and do not want to have another menu there. You can still get to the other page(or related) links using the "View" menu and selecting then selecting the link you want or in some cases from the context menu when you select an item with the mouse and right click.

-Simon

Inactive hide details for Brian W Svihovec ---09/10/2014 09:46:18 AM---According to the current documentation ( http://wiki.eclBrian W Svihovec ---09/10/2014 09:46:18 AM---According to the current documentation ( http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Documentation/Developer_Guide

Brian W Svihovec <svihovec@xxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,

09/10/2014 09:46 AM

[orion-dev] orion.page.link - Is it possible to display more than one link under a single category?
    Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

According to the current documentation (
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Documentation/Developer_Guide/Plugging_into_Orion_pages#orion.page.link), it looks like it is possible to define more than one link for a given category using orion.page.link.

The documentation also goes on to state, "
Each category appears as an icon in Orion's navigation menu (see picture). Links within a category are sorted, with the first link being applied to the category icon. "

If only the first link is applied to the category icon, is it possible to expand the category to see the other links, or are these links found somewhere else?

Thanks,
Brian