[orion-dev] Process for converging on stable/release builds

During Orion 7.0 we have completely stopped doing milestones in favour of a more continuous delivery model. We would like to produce regular (roughly weekly) stable builds that can be deployed to orionhub.org. One issue with this is how to stabilize the code for a stable build without disrupting ongoing development in master. After discussing ideas with various committers I would like to propose a process of branching once per week at a predictable time, and use that to converge on a stable build while allowing master branch to continue development.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Continuous_Delivery#Stable_build_process

I have done a test drive of this process this week. I setup new "stable" build in Hudson that builds from a branch:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/orion/job/orion-client-stable/

I used this to produced a stable 7.0 S1 (Orion 7 stable build #1) that I have deployed to orionhub.org:

http://download.eclipse.org/orion/drops/S-7.0S1-201407160323/index.html

Committers please take a look at this proposed process and respond here with any thoughts and concerns.

Thanks,
John

Back to the top