[orion-dev] Fwd: [Open Academy] 'npm install' failing with tty.js

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kaitlin Johnson Huben <kjh2141@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Subject: [Open Academy] 'npm install' failing with tty.js
To: Ken Walker <Ken_Walker@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jonathan Balsano <jrbalsano@xxxxxxxxx>, Melody Ju <mj2558@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey gang!

I'm having an epic amount of trouble getting tty.js to play nice. I was trying to just test out some code (adding tty.js to dependencies, etc., to start looking at creating a better shell), but 'npm install' can't seem to get it going. I'm on a Windows 7 machine, by the way.

I was originally getting an error along the lines of:
"MSBUILD : error MSB3411: Could not load the Visual C++ component "VCBuild.exe".
If the component is not installed, either 1) install the Microsoft Windows SDK
for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5, or 2) install Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008
"

I managed to fix it by following the suggestions here. Unfortunately, now I've got a whole other set of problems:
"LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'kernel32.lib' [c:\wamp\www\orion.client\modules\orionode\node_modules\tty.js\node_modules\socket.io\node_modules\socket.io-client\node_modules\ws\build\validation.vcxproj]"
I've attached the npm-debug.log as well.

Pretty much it seems like tty.js just does not like Windows. Shot in the dark, but does anybody have any suggestions other than getting a Mac?

Thanks!

Kaitlin Huben
Computer Science
Columbia University | Class of 2015