Re: [orion-dev] Handling long running validation

Hi Chris,

All service calls are under the covers asynch and return a then-able promise unless you are directly using the service object. So, yes just return a deferred and the rest is handled for you.
Also... if you're returning a deferred in a service implementation but are otherwise not using Dojo I would suggest using "orion/Deferred" as it has no dependencies and should load faster than dojo especially when used in a plugin.

For an example see -- bundles/org.eclipse.orion.client.core/web/plugins/filePlugin/fileImpl.js

Inactive hide details for "Chris Whitty" ---07/10/2012 11:10:23 AM---Hi all,"Chris Whitty" ---07/10/2012 11:10:23 AM---Hi all,

"Chris Whitty" <chris.whitty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Orion developer discussions" <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

07/10/2012 11:10 AM

[orion-dev] Handling long running validation

    Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here. I have a validator and outliner that make relatively long running xhr requests to a server. I would like this to happen asynchronously but I can't work out how to do this as when the service I registered is called, it seems to be expected to return synchronously. Is there a way to either trigger the rest of the validation myself when the request returns or to return a dojo deferred object which Orion can call then() on?

Thanks,
Chris.

This message has been scanned by MailController.