Re: [orion-dev] Search discussion from UX thread

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've pulled all the search questions from the UX thread into a separate
> thread.
>
> Q: Can we incrementally index whenever a file changes?
>
> There is no resource model on the server and no resource change events. That
> Eclipse desktop infrastructure is very heavy-weight, memory intensive, and
> slow to start/stop. All we have on the server is a file system, and a bunch
> of servlets that perform CRUD operations on that file system. There is no
> metadata about the file system retained between requests. When we first
> built the server, it was considered an important design point to keep the
> various services independent, so for examples the servlets doing file access
> or Git operations don't know anything about a search service.

Sounds like you need a post-write filesystem hook that the search
service subscribes to. That makes the services dependent upon abstract
events but not on git/file/etc.

Confounding any design is the likelihood that Orion devs are like me:
using localhost to allow direction filesystem hacking. That may not
apply in the long run.

jjb

Back to the top