Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call

> Not sure if it is doable on server side but...

Presumably it is if the server is running on top of a file system that is based on an Eclipse Workspace (i.e. because you could tell when things had changed based on the Workspace change notification).

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Libing Wang---2012/05/02 10:32:26--->> I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that woLibing Wang---2012/05/02 10:32:26--->> I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that would mean it could ensure the search

From: Libing Wang/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
To: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2012/05/02 10:32
Subject: Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

>> I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that would mean it could ensure the search index is up-to-date
>Me too. Is this doable with the current architecture?

Not sure if it is doable on server side but lets assume that server is aware of the "not updated yet" state when a search request is sent to a folder.
My concern is what the UI gesture will be? Are we going to say "please wait. Index is being updated"?
If that is true I would rather switching to a crawling search instead of waiting for index being updated, where at least I am seeing search progress...

Libing

Inactive hide details for Mike Wilson---05/02/2012 08:56:07 AM---> I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that Mike Wilson---05/02/2012 08:56:07 AM---> I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that would mean it could ensure the search

From:
Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
To:
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
05/02/2012 08:56 AM
Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call
Sent by:
orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that would mean it could ensure the search index is up-to-date
Me too. Is this doable with the current architecture?

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Kris De Volder ---2012/05/01 18:44:05---> This worked for me. I wonder if you typed the line and thenKris De Volder ---2012/05/01 18:44:05---> This worked for me. I wonder if you typed the line and then immediately searched for it. That is a

From:
Kris De Volder <kdvolder@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
2012/05/01 18:44
Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call
Sent by:
orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

> This worked for me. I wonder if you typed the line and then immediately searched for it. That is a big current limitation in our search - because it is index based and the
> index may not be up to date at the moment you search.

It was actually quite an old file. Not something I just entered. Now that I try it again it actually does work.
Not sure why it didn't work earlier. Now I'm starting to think maybe I imagined it :-)

Problems of indexes being 'out of date' are probably adding to the feeling of 'unreliability' I get.
Though I can't say whether or not this particular case was really an example of that.

I would be happy to wait longer for a search result if that would mean it could ensure the search index is up-to-date
before it starts searching.

Kris