|Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call|
+1 to what John said.
I would recommend you look at two classes of users for which the UX can be improved:
1. Regular users who get an account on orionhub.org to kick the tires. John's last sentence ('Generally...') sums up nicely what needs to be improved.
2. Potential adopters of (pieces of?) the technology who do a local install of Orion and need an easy way to set it up, and configure it with projects they are working on (hence point 0 from John).
I would have liked to join the call but have to get back onto my feet first. :-)
Will you be posting notes?
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM, John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Simon Kaegi <Simon_Kaegi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:My list in case it might inspire discussion:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to hold a call next Tuesday at 12pm Eastern time (e.g. same time of
> day as our regular Thursday call) to discuss user experience as well as
> ideas around theming. For an initial meeting Susan suggested bringing "a
> list of the 10 things that bug you the most as a user"
0. Confusion. Constantly decoding URLs with ids instead of project names.
1. Waiting. eg git repositories page.
2. Scrolling. eg git repositories page or plugins page
3. Flashing. Many pages do large repaints for small actions.
4. Overwriting. Accidentally edit a file in two tabs, you lose.
5. Cursing. Search then click the breadcrumb to go to a directory. It
6. Debugging. well, no debugging of course.
7. Pondering. Did it work? Why FAILED? Oh, I need to look over there
to see the message.
Generally I like to see the UI be more compact, with smaller icons and
less redundant text, update in-place rather than by-page, provide
messages at the point of interaction, and be more workflow focused and
therefore less uniform.
> and I think that's
> fine for a first call. Please feel free to ping additional ideas on the
> list. User experience is incredibly important and depending on the need this
> call might be made a regular bi-weekly chance to discuss.
> I unfortunately do not have an Eclipse bridge number at the moment but am
> getting help from the Foundation to set things up. I will send an update
> either before the call or failing that we can use my personal bridge.
> orion-dev mailing list
orion-dev mailing list