Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM, John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Simon Kaegi <Simon_Kaegi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to hold a call next Tuesday at 12pm Eastern time (e.g. same time of
> day as our regular Thursday call) to discuss user experience as well as
> ideas around theming. For an initial meeting Susan suggested bringing "a
> list of the 10 things that bug you the most as a user"

My list in case it might inspire discussion:

0. Confusion. Constantly decoding URLs with ids instead of project names.

1. Waiting. eg git repositories page.
2. Scrolling. eg git repositories page or plugins page
3. Flashing. Many pages do large repaints for small actions.
4. Overwriting. Accidentally edit a file in two tabs, you lose.
5. Cursing. Search then click the breadcrumb to go to a directory. It
searches instead.
6. Debugging. well, no debugging of course.
7. Pondering. Did it work? Why FAILED? Oh, I need to look over there
to see the message.

Generally I like to see the UI be more compact, with smaller icons and
less redundant text, update in-place rather than by-page, provide
messages at the point of interaction, and be more workflow focused and
therefore less uniform.

jjb