[orion-dev] BREAKING changes to command and page links plugins

I've just released a bunch of changes that change (in a breaking way) the way that plugins specify validation properties, content types, and hrefs.
This wiki page [1] describes the nature of the changes and gives examples for converting from the old way to the new way.
All orion hosted plugins have been updated accordingly.

WHAT YOU MUST DO:
If you are using orion.eclipse.org, you will need to reload all of your plugins when you pick up the build containing these changes.
In self hosting and testing these changes for the past couple days I found myself having to do quite a bit of localStorage.clear() since my properties were changing frequently.
Depending on when you pick up these changes, you may or may not have to do this (since this cached metadata should expire).

SYMPTOMS TO LOOK FOR:
- If any related pages, navigator links, open with commands, editor commands, etc. appear not to work, please first try reloading all your plugins. Then try localStorage.clear(). If you still see problems, open a bug.
- If you see errors such as "service was unregistered" in the console, it is likely related to stale metadata. I particularly had a hard time getting Chrome to let go of my old metadata. I saw the error most frequently in pages that were using a diffProvider (Git Status and Commit Page). I was able to resolve the problem by clearing caches, localStorage after reloading plugins.

IF YOU ARE A PLUGIN WRITER:
If any of your plugins use "href", "validationProperties", or "contentType" you will have to change your plugin. See the wiki doc.

Thanks everyone and apologies for any inconvenience. On the plus side, we have a lot more expressive power in the plugins now for validating metadata and building URI's. The wiki doc references all relevant bugs.

susan

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Plugin_API_Changes/R0.5

Back to the top