Re: [orion-dev] Need help with creating an extension point

Hmm, when I use command line tools it is typically via a series of putty windows. If I had my source code on one server, a second server for running builds, and a third server where my deployed application lived, I would have a separate putty window for each. I wouldn't expect commands for interacting with my deployed server to work from the console on my source control server, and vice versa. Apart from security problems with that, I'm not even sure how that would work. I.e., what does "ls" mean when my tooling workflow spans several servers like this? Which file system does it list? In an older world where I could edit/build/run on a single box I can see how this works, but in software development for the web I'm having trouble visualizing how a single monolithic console works.

John

Andrew Eisenberg <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/05/2012 11:37 AM

Please respond to
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orion-dev] Need help with creating an extension point

My personal opinion and expectation is that we would have one single page that understands all console commands.  When I work on the command line locally, I expect that I don't need to need different consoles for each set of commands (eg- git vs vmc commands).  From an implementation side, it might be easier to keep the consoles separate, but for a user this is an unnecessary complication.

Besides, even if we went with a separate console per extension, they would still all need to recognize the basic commands (eg- cd, ls, pwd, ...).

So, from a user's point of view, I would prefer to see #1 or #2 below.