Re: [orion-dev] PHP support?

How do you test your PHP code changes today? You can certainly run an Orion server on your desktop and use it as a glorified editor, but I don't think that's the ideal setup.  The most natural setup to me would be pushing from Orion to a test server via Orion's SFTP export, or deploying via Git to a free cloud platform that supports PHP as a test bed (Zend cloud, Heroku, Open Shift, etc).

For Zoe's WordPress case there is even a free demo of a WordPress application on Open Shift. That would make a great test bed for development, and we know Orion deployment to Open Shift works fairly well [1].

For anyone interested in developing better PHP tooling for Orion, note that there was a Google Summer of Code project on this last year, which would likely make a good starting point. It might need some work to catch up to newer Orion versions, but I recall it had basic syntax validation and content assist implemented already [2].

John

[1] http://planetorion.org/news/2011/11/developing-for-openshift-on-orion/
[2] http://orion.gusak.eu/

"Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/03/2012 12:43 PM

Please respond to
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Orion developer discussions'" <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orion-dev] PHP support?

FWIW, I've been interested in trying to use Orion to edit the HTML and PHP that I maintain for my sections of the eclipse.org website. I would obviously want to be able to prototype my content before committing the pages, so some sort of ability to run the PHP pages would be necessary.

If we pretended for a second that Phoenix used git, it seems that the main requirement would be the ability to a local server on my machine that ran both Java (for Orion's server) and PHP. It appears that XAMPP would do that. But that's a whole pile of issues because it uses Apache rather than Jetty, and the Orion server would need to be packaged as a jar or war file.

Has anyone played around with making something like this work? Anyone else out there have any other ideas on how I could stitch together something along these lines?