Re: [orion-dev] Sites?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM, John Arthorne
<John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John J Barton wrote on 12/14/2011 12:03:35 AM:
>> Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>> Does anyone understand the Sites feature enough to explain it?  I've
>> never gotten it to work and it seems like it ought to be simple
>> enough.
>

> I think the documentation gives a reasonably good basic explanation from an
> end user perspective:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Documentation/User_Guide/Getting_started#Launching_your_project_as_a_website

The first thing that happens is a dialog comes up asking for a name.
The instructions don't say what this name means. I don't know what to
put in this box. I put "Foo".

Then page has a sentence I don't understand:

"This will give you a row in which you can define a mapping from a
folder in your Orion user workspace to the location on the server
where the folder will be deployed."

I don't care about those things. I want to serve my project at a URL.
The first time around there is a nice menu to pick the project, I get:
  /Purple           /
Ok the RHS must be related to the URL. Which URL I have no idea.

(Actually what I really want is just to serve my project, EOM. I don't
want a "site", just load my .html file!)

If I go back to the Foo site I will no longer see the nice menu.
Instead there is a picture of a folder and when I click on it I get a
new web page listing the folder contents.

In addition this sentence makes no sense
button () next to your new site configuration."
There is no start button.

jjb

Back to the top