Re: [orion-dev] Orion and a domain-specific IDE

Hi Axel,

I might have missed other replies to your message, but here are some initial thoughts:

The Orion editor has basic extension points in place for content assist, outline, syntax highlighting, and annotations (errors/warnings). Since this infrastructure is the basis of the current JS/HTML/CSS tooling in Orion, you could get at least the same level of functionality for your DSL based on what we have today.

It sounds like you would need some different pages for your project metadata and navigator, but you could reuse our editor page exactly as-is. We have no Mercurial support in place or planned, so that's a fairly significant chunk that would need to be done (or move to Git, whichever is easier ;)

As for the back end, our current Java server isn't all that advanced. You may be better off implementing the server API yourself in Python if that's your forte. We're not wedded to Java as a server implementation language - it was just the quickest way for us to get going from our java background.  Here is a pointer to the main server API you would need to implement:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Server_API/File_API

Another option would be a pure WebDAV server that Simon is currently exploring. He could give more detail on how far we are from realizing that.

Hope that helps,
John

Axel Hecht <axel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/27/2011 08:13 PM

Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orion-dev] Orion and a domain-specific IDE

Hi,

quick intro, as I'm new: I'm Axel Hecht from Mozilla, Pike on mozilla's
irc server, mozPike on freenode (rarely). I'm working on l10n
infrastructure, and as most of our tools, hacking on those in python.

On to my real question:

I'm interested in a domain-specific IDE, in particular, an "integrated
localization environment", with things like "discover new strings" to
syntax checks to "get me a test build".

Now, for some things orion is an obvious fit, but I wonder what your
thoughts are on integrating the orion editor into a different work
environment. Some data points: we probably want a mercurial back end,
translation suggestions for code completion, project overview should
compare to English, so there'd be richer metadata to both the project as
well as some form of navigator.

We have existing code for the back end in python, and we've got about
zero java hackers, just to spice the question up a bit :-).

Naively, it looks like we could take a stab at figuring out java and how
to extend/bend-its-arms the IDE parts, or try to replicate the server
API for the orion editor client to talk to in python. Not so naively,
I'm scared of both.

Thanks

Axel