Re: [orion-dev] Meeting Minutes - September 15, 2011

I noticed in the minutes:

>    john barton's outliner is much faster and more robust than last week

The slowness was unguarded logging. From the few cases I have looked
at (eg textView.js) the naming seems to take <10% of Uglify's parse
time.  I need to try more cases and more browser/computer combos. I
was seeing more like 5% but I don't know if the code changed or
something else.

The algorithm may take more time on machine generated code.
Theoretically, it scales with the depth of the functions in the syntax
tree times the width of expressions parenting the function. Lots of
expressions are just identifiers; humans typically only nest say 5
deep. Machines might break these rules, but I guess if we want to we
can teach them to name the functions they generate.

>    Still miss lack of hierarchical outline like Mark's plugin has

I went back and read Mark's plugin again and implemented hierarchy.
I'm currently using it to show scope, ie the nesting of functions
within functions. Is that what you meant?

(Also I got some good test cases from Mark's comments ;-).

When using Nonymous on
 ...bundles/org.eclipse.orion.client.editor/web/orion/textview/textView.js
I see that the context of the hierarchy gets lost as we scroll down. I
guess I can cook up some hack like adding entries for parents every N
lines where N is the viewport height.

I also extended the demo/test page:

http://johnjbarton.github.com/nonymous/index.html

to include more tests and a table at the bottom for changing the
punctuation to see the effect.

I believe I have implemented all of the cases in the paper and fixed
the bugs I've noticed.  Please let me know if you have any more
feedback.

jjb