Re: [orion-dev] Browser-provided editor APIs

On Aug 11, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:

This idea at least sound great. I also heard it being mentioned during status call. But this would require at least one spec for that API, such that most browsers can adhere to. Is there any work/discussion group in this direction? Isn't relying on such an important browser feature critical for compatibility/portability? What is the Webkit opinion on this?

Browser features evolve along many different lines. I can give lots of examples... most seem to start with one implementation that proves its worthiness and smoothes out the rough edges. Some browser vendor typically takes the lead and others follow along at their pace, getting involved when it suits them. Apparently, there's an effort underway to standardize contentEditable which has existed and been in use for quite some time but still has cross-browser inconsistency.

I have an interest in seeing more experimentation with editing in the browser and would love to see the browser handle more of the low level details, and I think Mozilla's in a good spot to help get the work started on this.

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor
product manager, developer tools