Re: [orion-dev] Managing branches

> "John J. Barton" <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Pushing to an SCM on edit/save can certainly be handy - we had that
> in our tools 15 years ago! The only warning I will give is that the
> performance of doing this with Git can be quite bad. We had
> something like this in earlier Orion milestones, where our "file
> system" was actually a git repository, and we did add/commit/push on
> every editor save. The performance was terrible, but I suspect with
> some work it could be optimized and/or moved into the background to
> avoid disruption.

> I guess you where using push to get backup? Perhaps commit (backup
> client -> server) is separate from push (backup server -> remote).

It's a long story... this was when we had no Git tools in Orion, and we wanted to enable the case of editing a project on a remote repo such as Git Hub directly from Orion. If we separated the push step then there was an extra step required for the user to get their changes into their own repository. If in your case you are mostly doing commits (which is an entirely local operation), then it should have much better performance.

JohnA

Back to the top