Re: [orion-dev] Managing branches

While you are thinking about John's questions, another John has more:

I am thinking about using automatic git branches to support a slightly different work flow in Orion+Firebug. Firebug will be monitoring your changes character at a time. Once Firebug concludes that a patch is syntax correct, the edit would be saved to the server on a new branch.  Subsequent changes would be committed to the branch individually.  When the dev pushes "Save" it really means "merge" the auto branch back to the master (or what ever is current).

Any thoughts about this direction?

jjb

John Arthorne wrote:
We have started to use lots of branches for code reviews, etc. This is great because it helps us work out our multi-branch workflows in the Orion client, and shows we are starting to understand how to use Git. However it is causing a growing mess in our remote branch list, so I have two concrete suggestions to help keep our sanity in the long term:

1) Include a bug id or date stamp in the branch name, so we have some hope a few months from now in understanding what these branches are. For example does anyone know what the branch called "test" or "pending-review" is for?

2) If you create a branch for a short term objective like a code review, delete the branch once the commit is merged into master. I don't see any UI in Orion to perform this yet, but you can do it from the Git command line:

git push origin :some-branch

Chime in if you have any other suggestions. >From my reading elsewhere, deleting branches in Git is a fairly common workflow because the Git development style is branch intensive. Of course this doesn't delete any commits or code in the repository - it just removes a label that no longer has value from a commit. Git experts out there please chime in if this doesn't sound reasonable.

John