[orion-dev] Managing branches

We have started to use lots of branches for code reviews, etc. This is great because it helps us work out our multi-branch workflows in the Orion client, and shows we are starting to understand how to use Git. However it is causing a growing mess in our remote branch list, so I have two concrete suggestions to help keep our sanity in the long term:

1) Include a bug id or date stamp in the branch name, so we have some hope a few months from now in understanding what these branches are. For example does anyone know what the branch called "test" or "pending-review" is for?

2) If you create a branch for a short term objective like a code review, delete the branch once the commit is merged into master. I don't see any UI in Orion to perform this yet, but you can do it from the Git command line:

git push origin :some-branch

Chime in if you have any other suggestions. >From my reading elsewhere, deleting branches in Git is a fairly common workflow because the Git development style is branch intensive. Of course this doesn't delete any commits or code in the repository - it just removes a label that no longer has value from a commit. Git experts out there please chime in if this doesn't sound reasonable.

John

Back to the top