Re: [orion-dev] Plugin registers but does not load.

On 6/13/2011 8:59 PM, Simon Kaegi wrote:

John,

If you're getting as far as messaging then I'd debug _publish(...) in plugin.js and _responseHandler(...) in pluginregistry.js

After the initial load of a plugin the pluginregistry will cache any related service metadata

Just to say a bit more, the plugin install loads the plugin.html file, causing the plugin to run
        provider.registerServiceProvider("orion.edit.listener", eventAdapterForCSS, {});
        provider.connect();
This much can be debugged by a plugin author using console logging to verify that the calls happened during install.

and then lazy load the plugin on other pages only when the service is accessed. If that's the sort of situation you're in I'd debug _load and _parseData in pluginregistry.js

Yes, this is much harder because the framework is pulling. I could look in localStorage and see the entry under 'orion.edit.listener' (now we are on the edit page, not  the install).

The bug in my case was:

         var modelListeners = serviceRegistry.getServiceReferences("orion.edit.listener");

        for (var i=0; i<modelListeners.length; i++) {
            serviceRegistry.getService(modelListeners[i]).then(function(listener) {
                if (listener.onModelChangedCSS) {  <<< Mismatched change of function name here
                    var eventAdapter = new EventAdapter(listener);
                    eventAdapter.initialize(listener);
                }
            });
        }
I think I will make this an error, since the developer (me) intended to implement something on the listener.  In fact I might have been better off without the test here: it replaces an exception with a silent fail.

(I'm also not completely sure about hacking the editor API this way, but that's another subject).

jjb

-Simon

Inactive hide details for John J Barton ---06/13/2011
          08:48:22 PM---I had just gotten plugin version communicating
          to Firebug aJohn J Barton ---06/13/2011 08:48:22 PM---I had just gotten plugin version communicating to Firebug and I was about to wire in the edits to l

John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

06/13/2011 08:48 PM

[orion-dev] Plugin registers but does not load.

Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I had just gotten plugin version communicating to Firebug and I was
about to wire in the edits to live changes when everything stopped
working. As far as I can tell my plugin is no longer being loaded in the
editor. Any ideas why?  I can see it in the list of plugins, the load
event handler runs when install. But it won't  show up in the editor and
I get no error messages.

jjb