Re: [orion-dev] Stress-testing the Orion server

Hi Denis,
I'd definitely be interested in watch and trying stuff out during the stress tests and will ping you in the morning -- script#2 looks pretty reasonable for a user load test.
I'm expecting we need to tweak session settings, so a test where we have a bunch of different users occasionally getting a file to determine session live-ness would be good too.

The scripts I think we want to save and bugzilla is probably a good place to start.
-Simon

Inactive hide details for Denis Roy ---02/08/2011 05:06:51 PM---I know the server component of Orion is perhaps not the main foDenis Roy ---02/08/2011 05:06:51 PM---I know the server component of Orion is perhaps not the main focus, but I've elaborated two scripts

Denis Roy <denis.roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/08/2011 05:06 PM

[orion-dev] Stress-testing the Orion server

Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I know the server component of Orion is perhaps not the main focus, but I've elaborated two scripts:

1. A script that will create random user accounts until interrupted.

2. A script that, if given a user list file, will log in, create a workspace if none already exists, fetch all the available files and folders and until interrupted, perform any one of six random actions. Those actions are:

- Get a random file
- Open a random directory
- Get the 'export' version of a directory or project (zip)
- Create a file in a random directory
- Edit an existing file (download a file, add 6KB of random content, then save it)
- Create a new folder somewhere in the tree

Here are my questions:

1. If anyone interested in these two scripts? If so, where should I put them?

2. I've created a test instance of an Orion server on Eclipse.org hardware. Unlike the "real" orion.eclipse.org, this test instance has 14 additional CPU cores and a total of 8GB of RAM. Is anyone interested in observing a stress-test of the server while I bombard it with multiple parallel processes of the #2 script above? This would simulate dozens, hundreds, and thousands of concurrent users actively using the server. I would perform this test tomorrow morning (Eastern time).

For what it's worth, on the test system I can happily create 5 accounts/second with no noticeable impact on the UI. The manage-users.html page, however, becomes unhappy with thousands of accounts.

Denis