Re: [orion-dev] server architecture

We have been trying to keep the initial server implementation minimal and avoid too many technology dependencies. What's the big advantage of restlet over servlets? I just glanced at the download for restlet and it seems to be 20MB, which is bigger than our entire M5 download at the moment. I'm somewhat skeptical that something so big could indeed simplify our server, but I'm open to looking at it.

john

Bryan Hunt <bhunt@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/01/2011 10:13 PM

Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orion-dev] server architecture

I started poking around Orion a bit and noticed that it currently uses "old-school" servlets.  Would there be any consideration for using a modern framework such as Restlet for providing the RESTful services, resources, and representations?  With the OSGi integration work I've done, it's now pretty trivial to create a dynamic resource, and I think it would provide a much cleaner implementation.

Bryan