[orion-dev] Orion Theming & Skinning

 Good Morning Devs,

After working with the HTML files for the past 2 weeks there's a few things that I'd like to see if we can spark discussion on.

Code Duplication:
When I updated the files to use the new Orion word mark I had to edit 3 HTML files to do so, all containing the same code but were just replicated for each page (navigate-tree.html, navigate-table.html, and coding.html). Likewise for adding the Demo Warning Footer to the pages. From my previous experience this always seems to result in one file being forgotten in an update.

Templating (Theming):
Part of the success of Drupal, Wordpress, etc is their ability to be customized through themes, to be truly web friendly we're going to need templating support for consumers downstream to brand their Orion deployments for their own needs. From what I understand any templating system is something that the server-side component would need to handle, and obviously a Java server app would likely use something different than a C server app. How do we handle this?

Server Only Output:
Another thing that came up was that some of the output sent to the browser comes from the server app itself (Login Box for example). I think its important that we keep the presentation layer seperate from the backend code if we do intend to provide some kind of templating system.

Should i open bugs on these topics so we can track them that way?

--
Nathan Gervais
Web Developer - Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top