Re: [orbit-dev] Policy for Removing/Adding stuff to Orbit

On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 20:59 +0200, Dietrich, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the criteria for stuff beeing added to orbit
> vs stuff replacing other (remove+add)
> e.g. as it was done for ASM today.
>
> the versions already there seem to be inconsistent.
> if a change in the second/third place of a plugin
> leads to a removal

If a new bundle being introduced is a minor, or micro update from an
already existing one, I've usually asked contributors to look if it's
possible to simply replace the older one.

In this case I see ASM 7.0 is being used by modeling.tmf.xtext,
 modeling.emf.mwe, and ee4j.glassfish in addition to technology.eclemma
so I could enforce some policy where contributors removing bundles
would be asked to check if others are using the existing bundle via
Orbit, and to contact the other projects (by mailing list/project lead
contact) or posting directly to cross-project-issues announcing their
intent.

We could always look at bringing back ASM 7.0 (it remains consumable
from the M1 repository) if moving to 7.1 is a no-go for some.

--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top