Re: [orbit-dev] Eclipse .project files in orbit-recipes

On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 11:55 +0200, Matthias Sohn wrote:
> I am wondering if we want to have .project files checked in for Maven modules in the orbit-recipes repository or not.
>
> Looking at the attached list of .project and pom.xml files in the repository it seems for most recipes both pom.xml and .project files are checked in. Some only have a pom.xml.
>
> I also observed that many of these .project files assign no project nature to the project.
> But some assign project natures.
>
> Should we do this in a consistent way for all modules?
> If yes, which choice do you prefer?
> only check-in pom.xml, add .project to .gitignore and use Maven Eclipse plugin to import  into Eclipse (or use some text editor)
> check-in pom.xml and  check-in generic .project file
> check-in pom.xml and  check-in .project file with Maven nature (any other natures needed ?)

Hey Matthias,

As far as I know, the .project files are created as part of the ebr-
maven-plugin [1] [2]. If they are lacking in certain bundle recipes, my
guess would be that they were missed when being copied over (if someone
decided copying from a previous project is faster than using
ebr:create-recipe), or elected to not check it in and wasn't caught.

It looks like one of the older lucene bundles, quite a few asm, jacoco,
hamcrest, java_cup are lacking the .project file so I can file a bug
for these to eventually get them fixed.

Would anyone find it more beneficial to have m2e project nature
automatically assigned, or something else perhaps ?

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/ebr/blob/master/releng/maven-plugins/ebr-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/eclipse/ebr/maven/CreateRecipeMojo.java#L211