Re: [orbit-dev] [cross-project-issues-dev] Orbit Bundles To Be Removed From 2018-09 M3

On 2 August 2018 at 16:53, Mat Booth <mat.booth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2 August 2018 at 07:53, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Roland,

> I just wanted to give a heads-up that the following bundles (and
> corresponding source bundles) are expected to be removed from the Orbit
> build towards 2018-09, for M3 [1].
>
> com.google.guava 15.0.0, 18.0.0 (use 21.0.0)

Code Recommenders still uses Guava 15 and can't switch without doing a
major release, as Guava classes like ImmutableList and Optional are
unfortunately part of our public API. Switching to a new major version
of Guava would hence mean forcing all our clients to also switch, which
may not be possible.

A major release, possibly moving from Guava Optional to Java 8 Optional
in our public APIs, would eliminate this problem for good, but we don't
have the resources to do that for 2018-09.

Best wishes,

Andreas

Here I might be able to help. That recommenders uses old guava has caused me a bit of headache in my downstream builds and I've been carrying some patches against recommenders for a while -- let me clean up the patches that we are carrying downstream and I will file a bug where we can discuss it further -- how does that sound?

Sorry for replying to myself. I filed two bugs to talk about it:

Back to the top