Re: [orbit-dev] Extending the Orbit Scope

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 14:07 +0200, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
> > On 3. May 2017, at 13:53, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The main issues I see are that:
> > * It makes Orbit depend on Platform, so there is now a cycle in dependencies
>
> Technically it already is. We need Equinox for OSGi dependencies.

Yup, quite a few things from the past have dependence on
org.eclipse.osgi and even more recently the org.apache.felix.scr bundle
that we maintain.

> > * It makes Orbit now maintains specific code, and does more than plain packaging and distribution of 3rd party.
>
> Right. That is a concern that needs to be discussed. Personally, I don't see this as an issue because sometimes we already do. However, I could also see this being a nice example for a "micro" project. On GitHub I would simply create it and be done. Doesn't work with Eclipse yet. Setting up a new project is heavy. :)

I think the ebr functionality that does a recompile of any sources
under version control is really cool, and we certainly use it in cases
where we must modify sources from upstream (patch for some bug CVE) but
it seems like we'reĀ abusing it in this case.

This does ease the releng burden for projects that aren't very large,
have just 1 committer, and are destined for inclusion in Orbit.

So the propsal for now is to follow a similar model to what we do with
eclipse/ebr (ie. develop on github, and on release bring it into  our
Nexus instance, orbit-approved-artifacts, then consume) ?

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top