Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit release for Neon.3

> On 17 Feb 2017, at 08:49, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As the Guava API has changed significantly between 15.0.0 and 21.0.0,
> there is no way that the same code could work with both versions.

That's unfortunate. But given the long period between versions probably understandable from their point of view.

>> You should not include a lower Guava version in your feature.xml but let p2 decide at installation time. This will avoid situations like the one below, which happen because project include different versions in their feature.xml when contributing to the common repository.
>
> We do *not* include a Guava version in our feature.xml (neither as
> "Included Plug-in" nor as "Dependency"); we merely provide the
> com.google.guava 15.0.0 bundle on our update site. If no bundle
> satisfying the above Import-Package is installed already, then p2 will
> automagically install the com.google.guava 15.0.0 that we provide.

That's perfect. There are still a lot projects which hard-pin dependencies in their main feature.xml. This leaves so other choice and installing it in addition to what is already there. The way you do it allows the p2 resolver finding the right balance.

-Gunnar

Back to the top