Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit release for Neon.3

Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
>> On 17 Feb 2017, at 08:07, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> There are, however, legitimate reasons to not use the latest and
>> greatest. Code Recommenders, for example, sticks to Guava 15, as
>> switching to the Guava version 21 now in the Oxygen Orbit repository
>> would impose an unwanted Java 8 requirement on Recommenders' (pre-Neon)
>> users.
>
> Andreas, this is off-topic for the Orbit list but as a project your version range should be sane so that it works with latest Guava in Oxygen as well as older Guava in pre-Neon.

As the Guava API has changed significantly between 15.0.0 and 21.0.0,
there is no way that the same code could work with both versions. Hence
we (Code Recommenders, AERI) do an

  Import-Package: com.google.common.base;version="[15.0.0,16.0.0)"

> You should not include a lower Guava version in your feature.xml but let p2 decide at installation time. This will avoid situations like the one below, which happen because project include different versions in their feature.xml when contributing to the common repository.

We do *not* include a Guava version in our feature.xml (neither as
"Included Plug-in" nor as "Dependency"); we merely provide the
com.google.guava 15.0.0 bundle on our update site. If no bundle
satisfying the above Import-Package is installed already, then p2 will
automagically install the com.google.guava 15.0.0 that we provide.

I think this is a sane approach.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--